If you are looking for tips for the best paint colors to make a room look bigger. As an ASID Interior Designer with over 25 years experience, I have helped many people choose paint colors to do just that! Here are a couple of my favorites.:
- Sherwin Williams– Alabaster. This is the “Color of the Year” from SW and I have specified this already this year to a client wanting to “open up” the room. This particularly looks good when there are a lot of windows and the trim around the windows is white.
- Another Sherwin Williams color- Softer Tan is a good color to recommend for that grey-taupe colorway. This is a good color to merge from the beige color tones to the more popular grey tones.
- Benjamin Moore has a great color called Shaker Beige. I have used this as a standby color for as long as I can remember. It’s tried and true. I have clients who have this color for years’ and they tell me they love that it is neutral enough to go with anything and it still keeps a room feeling open.
- There is a little trick to the trade with color…if the person has dark trim around the windows, its best to NOT paint a light color on the wall. Reasoning is that the contrast between light walls and dark trim makes your eye stop and start as it glances around the room. It’s best to match tones of color with the tones of trim. Sometimes in a room with dark trim, a color like Benjamin Moore’s Bleeker Beige will do the trick.
- 5. For a great “grey” color, Sherwin Williams, Accessible Beige (I know it says beige but it’s a grey tone) is a good overall open and light feeling.
Choosing the perfect paint color can only be done in your home. Take in consideration the type of light you have in the room. Also, make sure you ONLY use NO VOC paint. It is a little more expensive but it is SAFE and it is better for you in the long run!
I can be reached for an Interior Design Consultation at 740-852-6226. Or Melinda@shopFDI.com